Monday, January 21, 2008

Atonement

I'm back, back from a month long "hiatus." Did you miss me? You did didn't you. Since you're probably reading this on Facebook notes, you're probably just glad that you're reading something that's NOT stolen from ________ because he/she is bored. So many reposted quizzes and surveys, so little time. It'll probably take a few days for me to get back into the swing of my blog things (I'd never thought I'd live to see the day I use "blog" in a dirty connotation), but a month off has offered a lot of stupid people in the news and the world around me to go unpunished (by my words).

First to atone: Last week, Toronto Mayor David Miller's call for an "absolute ban" on handguns in Canada. Weren't you supposed to do this like... forever ago? I mean, what made you all of a sudden come up with the bright idea? Could it be the two people that died from stray bullets in the past week in your city? Or the hundreds that die across your city and the near thousands that die all across Canada each year? While an "absolute ban" will actually never happen, it's about bloody time you're speaking up. Although I do understand why he didn't speak up before: he didn't want to get shot. Understandable. After all, he does live in Toronto.

Next to atone: The Razzie Awards, the awards that claim to "de-honour" Hollywood's worst movies has some explaining to do. I think I speak for everyone in demanding a recount when "Good Luck Chuck" was shut out from the major movie nominations. Have they even seen that piece of crap?

Call up the Atone Phone: Hollywood. What has this world come to when we can't even celebrate the achievements of our biggest stars by watching a gala on TV? Instead, Hollywood's biggest nights have turned into press conferences. If I want to see awards being given out without all the prestige that comes with an awards show, I'll watch MTV Video Music Awards, thank you very much. If I want to see awards given out without all the excitement, I'll watch the Governor General's Performing Arts Awards, thank you very much.

Lastly, atone: Hilary Clinton for (among other things) crying. America can't have (another) president that cries when faced with something tough. Crying, though, has gotten a lot of people in history what they want including:

He wants his bottle.
He wants Joey.I don't know what he wants.

No comments: